Friday, August 26, 2016

Rejection is a Part of Life

I applied for a job last week. It is less than a ten minute walk from my apartment, which right now is super important. Since I am in a new city, it's very easy for me to get lost. The job is at a pancake house, and I applied to be a server. Although I am so over being a server, and I feel like I would rather die than serve and clean-up after another person, it's something I'm comfortable with, and have lots of experience doing. So, I went and had an interview with the owner, and he said he was going to "take a look at the schedule, and see where he could fit me in for training" And he said to expect a call on Tuesday. Tuesday came and went, and on Wednesday I tried to call the restaurant, and was told he was "in a meeting" Here it is Friday, and I still haven't heard from him. It's so frustrating, and this guy totally wasted my time.  I stopped handing out resumes because this guy was hiring me! Now I'm just so frustrated. The worst part is being lied to, and rejected by a crappy job you never even wanted.
If I could give one piece of advice to all the teenagers out there, it is to go to college if that is at all a possibility. Sure there are some instances where people without college degrees make it out of the minimum wage world, but that hasn't been my experience. Even if I find a job that isn't serving people, it will most likely be some other low paying, soul draining customer service job. It's just so frustrating to know that you're capable of more. It's been a long life of being very unfulfilled.
I did learn something from this debacle. Wasting people's time is not cool. I have definitely wasted people's time before, and I guess I didn't realize how shitty it feels. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own stuff, we forget that our actions affect others. I am guilty of that over and over.
I'm trying to take it all in stride, rejection is a part of life and all of that. But it's just that it's so easy for people to say that who aren't pounding the pavement, and getting rejected by jobs that they themselves would never want.
I'm kind of glad no one reads this blog right now. It's like a safe little place to come vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment