Friday, April 8, 2016

Dandelions

It's funny what little things you remember. For me, my memories of my childhood are all I have. I have no pictures or mementos of anything from my past. I'm like a spy or something but nowhere near as cool. Every spring, when everything starts blooming, I wait for the first sighting of dandelions. Yes, the weed that drives everyone nuts, and people can't wait to mow down, makes me feel happy. To me, they are beautiful. I remember every year my grandpa would take me on a walk, and I would pick a huge handful f dandelions, and present them to my grandma, feeling very proud of myself. And she was always so appreciative and happy to have them. And not in a patronizing way either, she genuinely thought they were beautiful. We had many discussions about whoever decided they were pesky weeds. I've never found anyone who sees the beauty in dandelions the same way.

2 comments:

  1. I never fully understood why everyone hated dandelions so much. I am not a fan of their leaves, but flower is pretty, and they are much nicer looking than crab grass! The photo looks great btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got it either. And they are so pretty in the spring after we've dealt with a gloomy grey winter. They're little pops of color always make me feel better.

      Delete