Sunday, September 25, 2016

Just No

I had a dog walking client last week that wanted me to let their dog out more than just walking it. It was costing me money to go back and forth, so one day I decided to hang out at a park near their house and read a book in between visits. I had my little space under a tree, the park was safe, I was happy. About six feet away from me a man pulled up a spot under a tree, obviously planning to do the same thing. As time went on, I noticed that this man was allowed to sit in the park and do his own thing, but for me it was a different story. Four different men walked right on by the guy, and didn't force conversation on him, but somehow couldn't do the same for me. I got asked if I was okay, even though I was showing no sign of distress, quite the opposite actually. There was a softball game going on in the field, and another guy decided he had to know my thoughts on softball. I actually have no thoughts on softball. That same day, later on in the evening as I was waiting for my bus, in a not so well lit area, two different men pulled their cars into the empty parking lot next to the bus stop to ask if I wanted a ride. Not a good day for men.
I'm sure those guys at the park thought they were being nice, and friendly, but I disagree. I don't like to be forced into conversation, and if I chooses to not engage, I am considered a bitch, or whatever insult they want to hurl my way. I am a nice and friendly person to be honest. But, when I'm sitting at a park reading a book and minding my own business, I don't want to be hit on. And I certainly do not feel safe when I'm alone in a not very well lit area, and a strange car pulls up offering a ride! I mean, I try not to bash men, I try not to make the typical men are dumb jokes, but come on! How dumb can these guys be to think a woman is going to get in a car with a strange man? Do they know it's 2016? I don't even think a naive teenager would be that gullible at this point.
I just wish men knew how creepy, and insulting it is to not be given the same respect as men. And I wonder if men know how scary it is to have a car pull up next to you in the dark, It's scary. I always want to ask men that do that if they have a daughter, or sister, mother, whatever. Think of the female in your life, would you want her to feel that fear?


No comments:

Post a Comment