Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Closure

Closure is an important step in healing, or so I've been told. Closure is something that I deeply crave, but rarely have. I was in the group home for wayward teens, and left to go live with my adoptive parents. I never even went back home to get my things, say goodbye all of that. I don't even remember making that decision, or why or anything. I'm sitting here typing this thinking, why wouldn't I have gone to get some of my stuff, or say goodbye? So, I never said goodbye to anyone in my real family. All the discussions about the adoption and details were talked about by my birth mom and my adoptive dad who is a lawyer by the way.
A few months after the adoption I got a letter from my grandparents saying I had made my choice, and I chose a whole different family, so I made my bed I guess. I was devastated. I loved my grandparents more than anything in the world. I should have tried to talk to them. I was too young and too fucked up in the head to make such a huge decision that would affect my whole life. I can't talk to my grandparents now, and try to explain and make it right. Unfortunately they have both passed.
I also never will get closure with my adoptive parents. They believe that they came along and saved me, and God intervened and everything they do is because of Jesus and on and on. Any time in my life since I have known them if I dare question or have a problem with anything to do with them, well let's just say the price I pay is just not worth it. You see, she is a therapist and he is a lawyer, and so they both are absolutely the best at twisting words and situations, and before you know it you are questioning everything about yourself, and you feel horrible for whatever it was that you felt. They are both the most successful in their families, and also are both the oldest of their siblings, so they are always the ones to bail everyone out. Whether it's loaning money, handling this, dealing with that, they help out, never needing help. They have their shit together a little bit more than everyone else. They tell you what's wrong with you, you don't tell them.
So the last time I tried to have a conversation about my feelings ended in disaster. I received the nastiest email ever from my adoptive father. He tore me down like I was nothing. I haven't spoken to either of them since. This was in October.
I will never be able to have closure with my birth family, and I apparently will never have closure with my adoptive parents. At this point in my life, I want nothing to do with them. I see them as a mistake in my life, like a lot of my past relationships. I have to somehow find the closure within myself, I guess. Maybe I need to go to the desert and yell out my feelings and then sit in a sweat lodge, I don't know.

4 comments:

  1. I recently read this article- this post made me think about it:
    https://medium.com/@sheaemmafett/10-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-gaslighting-22234cb5e407#.a37kqkar0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am blown away by that article. I had never heard of galighting before. That article hit so close to home for so many reasons. My ex boyfriend and my adoptive parents have a lot in common. I actually bookmarked that article, because it's something I will read again. Thank you so much.
    Have you ever known something was going on, but you didn't exactly know what, and you couldn't articulate it, so maybe you are crazy? This article answered a lot of questions for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am very empathetic, and I have seen and been in situations where guys and girls have tried twist words of other peoples, and I am fairly certain I might of accidentally done the same to a few other people as well in high school. I know my one ex always tried to do those sort of mind games to me. I am fairly strong headed, and got out of the relationship before it got to that point, and didn't figure it out, so I ended up letting him date one of my friends who totally got messed up and kind of screwed up her views of relationships. I mean you can't stop other people, and I don't think she would of listened to me if I said "don't date him, he is a jerk"

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately I think it's human nature to follow your heart and not learn from others mistakes when it comes to love. At least that's how I've always been. I hope to not be like that in the future. I can think of soooo much heartache I could have saved myself if I just would have listened.

      Delete