Friday, May 20, 2016

Dead Woman Walking

Sometimes being a pedestrian can be downright terrifying. Before texting and Emailing while driving was a thing it was scary enough. But now, there are some days where I feel lie I might die. I feel so unimportant and almost invisible. Living in a city like Seattle, or any large city it's going to be worse of course, because in fairness to all of you who love to text and drive, I also fear most drivers in general. Traffic is always congested, and people are in a rush to make that light, or get that turn in. I used to drive as well so I understand dealing with traffic, and the impatience and all of that, and I would probably lose my shit driving in Seattle. But at the same time, in a city like Seattle there are tons of people who walk, ride bikes, skateboards, unicycles, roller blade, you name it, we exist here. So you would think that cars would be a little used to looking around for anyone on foot.
I was walking to Target today, and traffic was a mess, and it was just so intimidating. When cars do stop to let you walk, you can sense the irritation, and you can sense that they wish you would hurry up already.
There is one stretch of my walk to Target where I walk by two parking lots, one belongs to a Starbucks, gas station combo, and right next to it is a McDonalds. To probably no one's surprise, the McDonalds driveway is the scariest. People are the worst, both pulling in and out. It only strengthens what I think of people who eat there.
I miss walks in the country, and the stone ages when we only had landlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment