Monday, October 26, 2015

Laugh Away the Harsh

                                           
Here's a funny little clip from The Kroll Show with Jenny Slate, who I was talking about yesterday. Laughter is so important to balance out all the darkness of the world. I'm talking gut wrenching, snorting, tears running down your face laughing. I really respect people who can bring that kind of joy into my life. I've worked at two comedy clubs in my day, and it's very helpful being surrounded by comedians. They always have the most hilarious ways of trashing customers who are driving you insane! Lewis Black once performed at one of the clubs I worked at, and he stood at the waitress station all night chain smoking, and he would say the most deliciously evil things about some of the frat boys that were in the crowd being HORRIBLE!  The Kroll Show is on Hulu Plus, and also I think Comedy Central's website. It's really worth a watch, it's one of the funniest shows I've seen in awhile.
I also wanted to mention something that really gets on my nerves.
I also wanted to throw a friendly little reminder out into the universe that asking people invasive questions is never really okay. I have never been married, and have no interest in marriage for my own reasons. I also don't have children. And no, I won't "change my mind". And, just because I feel that way does not make me some kind of abnormal, selfish woman. I don't dread people asking the question if I'm married with kids, because I don't feel any shame in my answer. But I dread the question because I dread most people's response. It's almost always some sort of sympathetic gesture, or every now and then it's some sort of reference to being carefree and no responsibilities. I haven't figured out which is worse. Sometimes when I say I've never been married I even get the wide eyed "not even once"? As if being a triple divorcee is better. I am in no way saying there is anything wrong with triple divorcees, but I also certainly don't think it's better than never being married! Neither is better, both are fine. And I certainly don't owe any stranger, or any person an explanation. I have heard every joke about what is wrong with me, what is wrong with men, what is wrong with my choice in men, and on and on.
It's uncomfortable, and awkward to be questioned this way by strangers, and also very invasive.  I don't feel like a barren, bitter spinster, and I also don't feel like a carefree party animal. I regret sooooo many decisions I've made in my life, but I don't regret not getting married and having a family. That being said, I do sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I would have gone that route, but I'm sure people who are married with children sometimes wonder what if. I feel like that's kind of human nature to wonder. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong.
Can we all just respect each others life choices, and not judge and assume so much?

2 comments:

  1. I love Lewis Black! He did a hilarious sketch on the daily show recently bashing millennial, then came to the conclusion he loved doing all those things and they were "his kind of people."

    I don't know how old you are, but man some people are crazy about the marriage thing! My boss has had two marriages, and two divorces, and is in another relationship and most people would probably say "get married! you're so old! what do you think is going to happen?" and I see a women with a strong business who is seeing a man who also has a strong business, and both I think should keep living their lives. So why force a marriage? Granted there are times where I feel like marriage might be good for a person, like my aunt who has been dating the same guy on and off for over 20 years. They are getting older, and I feel like finally signing the papers would make them stay through their fights rather than tell everyone they are breaking up then a month later getting back together. But I'm never going to tell them that, unless they asked my opinion, because I am not part of that relationship, and there is always information that the outside doesn't know. Anyways, I don't think I would be judgy if a 60 year old woman told me she never married. There are lots of reasons for that. Marriage isn't a life goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Very well said, marriage isn't a life goal. I feel like once I hit my early to mid thirties is when people started really asking about the marriage and kid thing. It's such an awkward conversation to have with a total stranger on the bus, or in line at the store!
    I always felt like if the person and situation were right, maybe i would consider it, but in the meantime I have a life to live, and goals to reach, and animals to save!

    ReplyDelete