Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Meditation Musings

I was reading an article on anxiety earlier, and the article suggested a few things for people who didn't want to take medication for it. Meditation was one of the things strongly suggested. They really said anything to slow down your mind, and focus on getting your breathing nice and slow, and allow the oxygen to calm you. So, of course yoga was another suggestion. It's funny, through the years when I talk about yoga, some of the most frazzled, stressed out people have been the ones to speak up the most about how they just can't get into yoga. And it always seems like they're the ones who need it most. I know for a fact my anxiety and inability to quiet my mind had a lot to do with my inability to stick with meditation. Nicotine and alcohol did nothing to help with the racing thoughts. And also, before I gave up coffee on a daily basis, I had a serious hardcore habit. I also did my time gulping down Red Bulls. I shudder to think of how much caffeine and whatever other weird stuff I put in my body.
I noticed an improvement in my yoga practice as soon as I gave up the ciggies. It wasn't just being able to breathe deeply without wheezing, but it was just a calmer sense of being.
I never really fully understood when people would say things like one healthy habit leads to another, because every time I would try one healthy habit, all the unhealthy ones would really get in the way, causing me to give up before I could possibly notice any results. But, now I understand that expression so much. I find myself making healthy choices naturally, without having to debate with myself.
I truly can't believe I am saying this, but it is possible to find some relief from what ails you emotionally. Feeling your feelings won't kill you, and having a good cry, or two hundred good cries doesn't make you weak, it helps you become strong. It's not holding you back, it's helping you move on, and it helps with anxiety. Holding in a bunch of negative emotions definitely causes anxiety, and all kinds of bad stuff.
I feel benefits from meditating even on days when I feel like my mind never quieted. It's like you get credit for at least trying. Part of loving yourself is accepting that none of us are perfect, and but it's important to try. It's important to try to be good to yourself, so we can be better to each other.

2 comments:

  1. When I did some meditative yoga (which I should do again) I noticed a difference, but it does take awhile to get use to. I kept trying to suggest to my husband to try it and he just shrugged it off since he tried it before... like maybe once. I think it can make people feel vulnerable, and there people get really frustrated when it doesn't work right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be so frustrating. That's why I've tried and stopped so many millions of times in my life. I still get frustrated with myself when I have days where it's hard to focus. I know meditation isn't for everyone, but I just want to encourage anyone who is into it to not give up. I could spend all day talking about little tiny ways it's helping me to become more of the person I want to be. But, like I said it can be so dang frustrating.

    ReplyDelete