Sunday, December 13, 2015

Reading to Remember

I finished reading One Last Thing Before I Go yesterday morning. A lot of tears were shed reading that book. Most were sad tears, but a fair amount were tears from laughing so hard. This book was gut wrenching in the best way. And I both loved and hated the way it ended, and I'm still thinking about it, which is a good thing. This is a book that I must own, because I feel like it's one of those that you read more than once.
I battled the wind and the rain and returned my old books and picked up some new books. Library day has always been one of my favorite days.
Library haul!
I've already started reading Blackout Remembering The Things I Drank To Forget. When I put my name on the waiting list, there were one hundred and fifty names ahead of me! I have never ever known a waiting list to be that long! It makes me feel better in some weird way to know that many people want to read this book. I assume not everyone who reads it ever had a problem with blackouts themselves, but i also assume a lot do. It makes me feel less alone. And I'm interested to read about how she learns to live as a sober person.
I know for myself when I was drinking, I always had friends and people waiting to do stuff, and I feel like I had conversations with people who actually were interested in what I was saying. I definitely don't feel that way sober. I've wondered if I'm boring now. When you feel any kind of social awkwardness, alcohol can be your fairy Godmother. Some of my wittiest comments have been nudged out by alcohol. Right now she's delving into blackouts, and not only am I relating, but I'm learning too. I'm constantly being reminded of how lucky I am that my body has made it, and I'm not dead, or a total burnout. Anyway, I'm only on the first chapter, so I will write more as I read more. I think it's going to be an important read.
I'm off to meditate now. All of these good decisions feels so right and so wrong and weird at the same time!
Happy Sunday!


2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of people waiting for a book. I guess that is a good thing that people are still reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! My jaw dropped when I heard that number. The library i go to has shelves and shelves of books that are on hold for people. It does bring comfort.

      Delete