Thursday, November 5, 2015

Lost & Found

Yesterday when I got to the top of my hill, I decided to turn down a side street instead of going straight back down the hill, which is what I usually do. I just decided I wanted some different scenery I guess. Well, the roads didn't connect the way I thought they would, and then one different turn turned into a wrong turn, and it all equaled LOST. It was like five or five thirty in the morning, so not a lot of people out and about to ask for directions. I just kept following the sound of traffic, because I knew that was the street I needed/came from.  I looked crazy too, sweat pants, flip flops, and a hat and jacket. I looked like the insane person breaking into houses and peeing in the living room or something. I learned a lesson about patience, which is something I've been working on for AWHILE now. I lose patience easily, with myself, other people, situations, etc. It's been a problem for as long as I can remember. Anyway, in the past I would have gotten very flustered, berated myself, and just let getting lost kind of ruin my mood, and probably my day. How crazy right? I mean it's not like I was in the wilderness without a compass! I was in the vicinity of a police station for the love of all! So, really no reason to lose it. I chose instead to look at it as extra exercise, I got to see a few cute dogs out for their morning walks, and I also got to see quite a few awesome houses that I might never see otherwise. It was no big deal, I made it home, and I was actually in a much better mood than before I left.
I know I've said it a million times, but I really feel like this hill is more than just exercise for me. I think that it is going to teach me things, and help me figure out things that I need to figure out. I feel like we learn things when we are ready, and more than ever I feel open to change, and learning, and growing. And on the other hand, I have been dealing with some temptations to pick up some old habits, like a cigarette and a beer, so the hill keeps me accountable. I'm not climbing that thing after I've smoked cigarettes, I would die! And blogging about walking this hill is keeping me double-y accountable. It's funny how life works sometimes.
Walking up a hill beats a hangover any day of the week! Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you and your hill climbing! Both physically and mentally! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete