Tuesday, November 17, 2015

When a Guilty Pleasure is No Longer Pleasing

For as long as I can remember, I have loved magazines. It started with seventeen, and other teem mags, and moved into Glamour, Cosmo, Jane, etc. I eventually grew away from those types of magazines, but I never gave up my love for the gossip rags. I'm not a gossipy person by nature, so i don't know why I love them so, but I do. Fun fact, back in the day, they only came out every month, and gossip blogs and websites didn't exist. I used to live for the moment the new issues started popping up. My favorite nights were when I had a fresh copy of all the magazines that I liked, a new romantic comedy, and some hot chocolate. Bliss. I stopped buying magazines ages ago but I moved my love of celebrity gossip online. There are so many gossip blogs, you can be updated every second! I have three websites that I prefer. For many reasons I've been feeling like I should cut down. Not cut it out completely, just cut back. It's not like you need to read more than one, they pretty much all recycle the same stories, not unlike regular news. I'm a believer in doing what you enjoy. When I was a smoker, I always told myself I would quit when I stopped enjoying it. It took some time, but that's what I did. I guess that makes sense as a minimalist. Let go of the stuff that doesn't serve you. Anyway, I've been feeling for awhile that sometimes the celeb buzz brings me down. A lot of it is mean, and quite misogynistic, which I never noticed before. Also, the ads telling me how fat, old and wrinkled I am drive me insane. So, like most habits this one didn't want to go away. But, on Friday, something in me snapped when I was looking at one of the three sites I visit. The ads were coming from everywhere, sounds and lights and it was just an effing out of control assault. It was that moment that I realized, this is not bringing me pleasure. This is not a distraction from the annoyance of everyday life, it's adding to the annoyance! It's funny how when you really make an effort to get rid of negativity in your life, you start seeing things so clearly, and you start noticing things that you didn't even realize were making you feel bad in the first place!
I had kind of plateaued after giving up on the beer and cigs. I think I was just kind of coasting, and lately with the hil and a few other things I feel like I'm on a mission to do all that I can to make the life that I want.Gossip rags today, love and kindness all around tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment